Memorial Day has come and gone, but many of us continue to reflect on our beloved veterans and other loved ones that have passed away. Moments such as this prompt us to consider the precious people still in our lives. As the saying goes, “give them their flowers while they can still smell them,” and what better way to do that than by showing them unconditional love and care? We have compiled some helpful information on how to acquire veteran benefits to assist you in the caregiving process for the veteran in your life.
General VA Benefits
U.S. military veterans of all ages may be eligible for a variety of benefits from The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), those include:
· Disability compensation
· Education and training
· Health care
· Home loans
· Vocational rehabilitation and employment
VA Benefits for Elderly Veterans
For elderly veterans that are already eligible for a VA Pension, there are two VA programs available that provide additional monetary assistance. These programs are for individuals that are either housebound or require the aid of a caregiver.
1. Aid and Attendance (A&A): An increased monthly pension amount if you meet these conditions:
– You require help performing daily functions (bathing, eating, or dressing)
– You are bedridden
– You are a patient in a nursing home
– Your eyesight is limited to 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes
– Concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less
2. Housebound: An increased monthly pension amount paid if you are substantially confined to your immediate premises because of a permanent disability.
If you think you or your loved one qualifies for VA benefits for elderly veterans, you can apply here.
VA Health Care for Elderly Veterans
Elderly veterans with complex needs may receive geriatric and long-term care assistance at home, at VA medical centers, or within the community. For more information on how to qualify, apply, and see what benefits your loved one can receive, please click here.
Whether your senior loved one is a veteran or not, you may be facing decisions on care services. Deciding whether or not your senior loved one needs in-home care is a daunting task. You’re not alone, at Senior Care at Home we will guide you and your loved ones every step of the way. If you are searching for home care assistance within Oklahoma City and the surrounding areas, our Senior Care at Home team would be happy to help. Contact us now.